January 22, 2008

The Agony of the Cross

So…An update at last! :)

I've been learning much the past month, and I hope that this post is an encouragement to all!

As many of you are members of BBC, you know that my dad has spent many weeks preaching on “A Promise to Live By”, with Matthew 1:21 being his text:

21And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Together with two books by CJ Mahaney, these sermons have made a profound impact on how I view the cross, my salvation, and the mysteries of Christ’s atoning death. Last week as I was preparing my Sunday School lesson, I was reminded and moved by a segment I read in Mahaney’s book, Christ: Our Mediator. Mahaney writes regarding the infinite suffering that God the Father and God the Son experienced for our eternal sake. Christ thought of us in His darkest hour. The Father abandoned His Son for us. I don’t know about you, but such thoughts should bring us to utter humility, gratitude, and obedience.

Mark 14:34-35 says:
34And [Jesus] saith unto them, My soul is exceeding sorrowful unto death: tarry ye here, and watch. 35And he went forward a little, and fell on the ground, and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him.

Christ’s suffering was so great that the burden staggered Him, the weight of it brings Him close to dying. Jesus faces the ultimate agony, the reality of becoming sin. He faces the ultimate agony of the wrath of God. He who knew no sin, must become sin.

I was re-listening to one of my dad’s sermons on this subject this morning, and heard something explosive that I had missed during its original delivery. As my dad was explaining, Jesus was circumcised on the eighth day as is the Jewish custom. As an eight day old infant, the Saviour was subjecting Himself to a life under the Law. His life would be a life in which he would live and fulfil that Law with perfection, a life in which he would be blameless. And He died for my immeasurable offenses against that Law, that Law which he lived spotlessly under for 33 years.

I pray that this would never become blasé to us, His children. Our salvation cost Him so greatly, and all I hope to accomplish in this post, is to encourage myself and my friends to never forget the agony of the cross!

My newest favorite quote:

‘Let the cross always be the treasure of your heart, your best and highest thought…and your passionate preoccupation’ CJ Mahaney

I am amazed at the depths of the wonders of the cross! And I am praying that we will always search more and more into His incredible work at Calvary! Let the cross color your every thought and deed.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Katy :) so often we tend to lose sight of how much Christ suffered for our salvation.

Anonymous said...

yay Katy! you posted!

and thank you for your post... I have to admit, often I try not to think about Christ's agony because it makes me see the terribleness of me... but really, that is the whole idea! When we see the agony of Christ, sin becomes blacker and grace richer... like that quote I read a while back about God's hatred of sin being more visible in the blood of His Son than in the fires of Hell...

and to think, as one song goes, that it was "my sword that pierced [His] side" that it was my sin that the God who holds the Pleideis in his hand... that it was my sin He became... thanks for that great reminder, I pray I will never become complacent to such a price!! How precious is this Christ!

Love you and the other peas... and missing you just terribly!!

Beth (your favorite cousin :) )

Unknown said...

you girls updated!!!!! yay!

thanks Katy!

Danielle

Pea #2 (Katy) said...

I'm surprised y'all still even check our blog! :)